man, oh man!
"God created man in His image; in the divine image He created Him; male and female He created them." —Genesis 1:27
- is created in God's image,
- is commanded by God to fill the earth (Gn 1:28),
- is commanded by God to subdue and have dominion over the earth (Gn 1:28),
- is the crown of creation. After creating men, God looked at what He had formerly called "good" (Gn 1:25) and called it "very good" (Gn 1:31),
- is redeemed by God,
- can have God living in Him and be in God, and
- can receive the body and blood of Jesus.
God loves man so much that He emptied Himself and became a man. He died and rose for us. If we live for Him, He will raise us from the dead and take us to be with Him forever in heaven. God loves man infinitely, unconditionally, eternally, and perfectly.
Lord, "what is man that You should be mindful of him, or the son of man that You should care for him? You have made him little less than the angels, and crowned him with glory and honor. You have given him rule over the works of Your hands, putting all things under his feet" (Ps 8:5-7). "Lord, what is man, that You notice him; the son of man, that You take thought of him?" (Ps 144:3) What is man?
Prayer: Father, teach me to love myself.
Promise: "So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it He rested from all the work He had done in creation." —Gn 2:3
Praise: St. Paul Miki and his twenty-five companions were pierced by a lance as was their Savior.
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Ralph J. Lawrence, August 9, 2000
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, August 18, 2000