testing for pride
"Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled, but whoever humbles himself shall be exalted." —Matthew 23:12
Are you humble? Are you proud? We human beings have always had the proclivity to deceive ourselves on these matters. Jesus gives us several signs of pride.
- They preach but they do not practice (see Mt 23:3, RNAB).
- "They bind up heavy loads" for others to carry without giving them any help (Mt 23:4).
- "All their works are performed to be seen" (Mt 23:5).
- "They are fond of places of honor" (Mt 23:6).
- They want to be acknowledged publicly (see Mt 23:7).
If you see in your life three of these five signs of pride, you should:
- Go to Confession.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to show you ways to humble yourself (see Mt 23:12).
- Study and pray Scriptures regarding humility.
- Pray daily for humility.
- Fast and do other sacrifices to ask for the grace of humility.
- Forgive others and apologize if you have been slow to forgive.
Prayer: Father, make me humble so that I will not be destroyed by pride.
Promise: "Blessed is the Lord Who has not failed to provide you today with an heir! May he become famous in Israel! He will be your comfort and the support of your old age, for his mother is the daughter-in-law who loves you. She is worth more to you than seven sons!" —Ru 4:14-15
Praise: St. Rose learned humility by serving the sick and the homeless.
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Richard L. Klug, February 27, 2003
Imprimatur: †Most Reverend Carl K. Moeddel, Vicar General and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, March 3, 2003